What is Full Coverage on Your Ohio Auto Insurance?

May 14, 2014

There’s a good chance you found yourself asking for “full coverage” at one time or another when talking to an insurance agent about your auto insurance.

Guess what, there’s actually no such thing.

I guess you could say it’s insurance slang for the works.

When you ask for full coverage what you are really asking for is a combination of mandatory and optional coverages for your car.

Here are the different types of coverages that make up “full coverage.”

  • Bodily Injury
  • Liability
  • Property Damage
  • Comprehensive Everything other than collision.
  • Collision - hit another car stationary object, not animal
  • Uninsured Motorist
  • Underinsured Motorist Liability bodily injury
  • Rental Reimbursement
  • Towing

Bodily Injury is for when you injure someone in an accident. This will cover their medical bills upto your policy limits.

Property Damage will pay for any damage to physical property from an ancient. That means if you accidentally park your car in someone’s living room, this will pay for the damage, again up to the policy limits.

Collision coverage is for when you hit another car or stationary object (doesn’t include animals). This coverage will pay for damage to your car when you hit another car or something like a guardrail. That turkey you clipped won’t be covered here, it would fall under the next coverage.

Comprehensive will pay for everything other than collision. Think of a tree branch falling on your car in the driveway.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist is liability coverage for when you are involved in an accident with someone who doesn’t have insurance or enough of it, this will cover the bill to prevent you from getting stuck with the check. You guessed it, up to the policy limits.

Rental Reimbursement will help pay for the cost of transportation if you car is out of commision for any period of time.

Note: Before you add this coverage, ask yourself if you have access to a spare vehicle that can be used instead.

Towing will reimburse you for towing costs if your car can’t make it where it needs to go to get fixed after an accident.

Note: You might be better served to look into coverage from a roadside assistance company instead.

There you have, those are the different coverages that make up “full coverage.”

Watch the short video below for an even more detailed explanation on what full coverage is and isn’t.

You can watch this video on YouTube by clicking here. You might also be intersted in subscribing to our channel on YouTube so you will never be at a loss for an insurance answer.

This video is part of a five-day-a-week series that promises to answer one of your questions every day we are open for business. If you want to come along for the ride, click the subscribe button on the left:

If you would like some help with health insurance or want to make sure I'm a real human being, you can send me an email, give me a call at 440-964-8211 or talk face to face over the internet.

Giangola Insurance Agency, Inc.

1000 Lake Ave.
Ashtabula, OH 44004
Phone: 440-964-8211
Email: joey@giangolainsurance.com

Monday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Tuesday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Wednesday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Thursday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed